Sunday, May 5, 2013

Ubiquitous Windows


Long ago, during Bill Gate times, every home should have a PC was the motto. As matter of fact it has been evident, now every home has a PC. Fortunately or unfortunately, time changes things, now every individual has a tablet, phone, laptop attached to his body. How this customer requirement direct the coming years of Microsoft?
If I remember correctly at some windows developer conference, our age old Mr. Gates vision has been modified to, "Every and any computing platform should be able to run Windows. Windows everywhere!!!” This according to me is a smart move from Microsoft. What has this got to do for developers and people who are aspiring for a career with Microsoft technologies?

This thought came to me while talking with my friend who is into device drivers. Microsoft has its arms spread out in Phones, Laptops. Tablets, Gaming Devices and Enterprise level software development. Making windows run on every platform is a herculean task which requires an in depth knowledge of device drivers, windows architecture and programming skills. To all those who are starting out a career like me with Microsoft my suggestion would be to keep Windows Device Drivers (WDD) and .NET Micro Framework(NETMF) up their ally. With more and more devices pouring into display, camera, various sensors and other cool things learning how to integrate them with windows would require an understanding of windows architecture itself. It’s a big area to ponder; I am starting out with these free tools given by MS. I think the day will come where I will say, “Hey, I want to port Windows on my new printer, get me the image.”



No comments:

Post a Comment